When you imagine a youthful appearance, you imagine a face and neck with clear skin, no wrinkles, and free from age spots and damage-related pigmentation.
So, what exactly are skin brighteners, and what can they do for you and your skin? Let’s take a look!
What Are Skin Brighteners?
Skin brighteners can mean lots of things in the beauty industry, but as a general rule, a skin brightener is something that can:
- Lighten the skin
- Block the production of pigment
- Remove darker pigments from the skin
- Increase cell turnover
Some skin brighteners claim to complete all of these elements and some may specialize in one or 2 of the focuses. Skin brighteners often come as a serum that can be incorporated as part of your skincare regimen as an extra layer. Although it may seem obvious, it’s only proper to point out here that skin brighteners are to be incorporated as part of a daily routine for the best results; there will be no magic overnight cure!
What Do Skin Brighteners Do for Your Skin?
The best skin brighteners can help to fade areas of dark pigmentation on the skin. They can rejuvenate dermal layers to promote a higher cell turnover, which will bring out the lovely new skin from underneath.
Some skin brighteners can help “Pull Out” the pigment from pigmented areas caused by aging, sun damage, or skin conditions.
How Can Skin Brighteners Help with Dark Spots?
Skin brighteners even out the skin tone. They are designed to promote a lightening effect on those areas of skin that are darker than the general palette of your skin to promote a more even tone.
Skin brighteners aim to promote a more youthful complexion, and sometimes skin pigmentation can detract from a fresh and skin look younger & healthier.
Skin brighteners can fade dark pigments on the surface of the skin over a gradual period, and their integration into a skincare regimen can promote a more even skin tone, giving that healthy skin appearance.
How to Choose the Best Skin Brightener for You
First of all, you need to know the problem you are wishing to solve! It is imperative to understand the kind of results you are looking for before you start your journey!
To choose the best skin brighteners requires knowing your skin type as some ingredients will be more suitable than others, so you need to discover whether you have:
- Dry Skin – Skin that is dry in patches, scaly, or flaky
- Oily Skin – Oily Skin overproduces sebum, leaving you prone to spots and breakouts
- Combination Skin – Skin that has areas of dry, oily, and normal all in one
- Normal Skin – Skin that holds a regular pH level and is neither oily nor dry
- Sensitive Skin – Skin that can react to certain ingredients easily
Key Skin Brightening Ingredients to Watch Out for!
Skin brighteners have so many different ingredients in all of the products available, so it is excellent to know what these ingredients are, what they do, and their suitability.
Most, if not all of the best skin brighteners available today are full of active ingredients – these can be sourced back to natural compounds. These researched, high concentrations produce brightening and rejuvenation properties to the skin’s surface.
Depending on the effect you are looking for, some ingredients are amazing, and some you might need to avoid in certain circumstances.
Let’s have a look at some of the elements you need and some you might need to pass on for the best results!
Ingredients to Embrace
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C gives youthful and clear skin by blocking pigment production.
- Retinol – Retinol increases cell turnover in the surface layers of skin and promotes cell regeneration in the base layers, bringing out a youthful complexion.
- Alpha Arbutin – The alternative to the controversial Hydroquinone, alpha arbutin is a natural compound that can reduce skin melanin production.
Ingredients to Avoid
- Hydroquinone – This has been deemed unsafe in a lot of the world as a suspected carcinogen.
- Mercury – It is on the unsafe list as a toxic metal with improper use.
- Corticosteroids without a prescription – Although these are used in the treatment of pimple and severe skin conditions, corticosteroids should not be used when the guidance hasn’t come from a doctor.
Top 4 Skin Brighteners For 2023
Here are some of the best skin brighteners for 2023 to help you choose the very best for your skincare regimen!