- What Are Skin Brighteners?
- What Do Skin Brighteners Do for Your Skin?
- How Can Skin Brighteners Help with Dark Spots?
- How to Choose the Best Skin Brightener for You
- Key Skin Brightening Ingredients to Watch Out for!
- Ingredients to Embrace
- Ingredients to Avoid
- Top 5 Skin Brighteners For 2022
- Advantages of Skin Brighteners
- Disadvantages of Skin Brighteners
- Frequently Asked Questions About Skin Brighteners
- The Bottom Line – Get the Glow You Always Wanted!
When you imagine a youthful appearance, you imagine a face and neck with clear skin, no wrinkles, and free from age spots and damage-related pigmentation.
So, what exactly are skin brighteners, and what can they do for you and your skin? Let’s take a look!
What Are Skin Brighteners?
Skin brighteners can mean lots of things in the beauty industry, but as a general rule, a skin brightener is something that can:
- Lighten the skin
- Block the production of pigment
- Remove darker pigments from the skin
- Increase cell turnover
Some skin brighteners claim to complete all of these elements and some may specialize in one or 2 of the focuses. Skin brighteners often come as a serum that can be incorporated as part of your skincare regimen as an extra layer. Although it may seem obvious, it’s only proper to point out here that skin brighteners are to be incorporated as part of a daily routine for the best results; there will be no magic overnight cure!
What Do Skin Brighteners Do for Your Skin?
The best skin brighteners can help to fade areas of dark pigmentation on the skin. They can rejuvenate dermal layers to promote a higher cell turnover, which will bring out the lovely new skin from underneath.
Some skin brighteners can help “Pull Out” the pigment from pigmented areas caused by aging, sun damage, or skin conditions.
How Can Skin Brighteners Help with Dark Spots?
Skin brighteners even out the skin tone. They are designed to promote a lightening effect on those areas of skin that are darker than the general palette of your skin to promote a more even tone.
Skin brighteners aim to promote a more youthful complexion, and sometimes skin pigmentation can detract from a fresh and skin look younger & healthier.
Skin brighteners can fade dark pigments on the surface of the skin over a gradual period, and their integration into a skincare regimen can promote a more even skin tone, giving that healthy skin appearance.
How to Choose the Best Skin Brightener for You
First of all, you need to know the problem you are wishing to solve! It is imperative to understand the kind of results you are looking for before you start your journey!
To choose the best skin brighteners requires knowing your skin type as some ingredients will be more suitable than others, so you need to discover whether you have:
- Dry Skin – Skin that is dry in patches, scaly, or flaky
- Oily Skin – Oily Skin overproduces sebum, leaving you prone to spots and breakouts
- Combination Skin – Skin that has areas of dry, oily, and normal all in one
- Normal Skin – Skin that holds a regular pH level and is neither oily nor dry
- Sensitive Skin – Skin that can react to certain ingredients easily
Key Skin Brightening Ingredients to Watch Out for!
Skin brighteners have so many different ingredients in all of the products available, so it is excellent to know what these ingredients are, what they do, and their suitability.
Most, if not all of the best skin brighteners available today are full of active ingredients – these can be sourced back to natural compounds. These researched, high concentrations produce brightening and rejuvenation properties to the skin’s surface.
Depending on the effect you are looking for, some ingredients are amazing, and some you might need to avoid in certain circumstances.
Let’s have a look at some of the elements you need and some you might need to pass on for the best results!
Ingredients to Embrace
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C gives youthful and clear skin by blocking pigment production.
- Retinol – Retinol increases cell turnover in the surface layers of skin and promotes cell regeneration in the base layers, bringing out a youthful complexion.
- Alpha Arbutin – The alternative to the controversial Hydroquinone, alpha arbutin is a natural compound that can reduce skin melanin production.
Ingredients to Avoid
- Hydroquinone – This has been deemed unsafe in a lot of the world as a suspected carcinogen.
- Mercury – It is on the unsafe list as a toxic metal with improper use.
- Corticosteroids without a prescription – Although these are used in the treatment of pimple and severe skin conditions, corticosteroids should not be used when the guidance hasn’t come from a doctor.
Top 5 Skin Brighteners For 2022
Here are some of the best skin brighteners for 2022 to help you choose the very best for your skincare regimen!
The cream is hailed as a dark spot corrector, and the results that are displayed about this cream look good.
However, it does contain Hydroquinone, and the question is, is it safe for the future of your health?
Hydroquinone could be carcinogenic, but in this instance, it is via a prescription. Read our full review
Porcelana is a night cream designed to be used overnight and has had some overall positive reviews regarding its brightening effects.
It is prescription-grade without actually needing a prescription
which shows that it could have a high concentration of active ingredients. Read our full review
This is a highly concentrated serum that may help to reduce the prevalence of dark spots and lighten areas of pigmentation.
The website states that it uses all skin-safe ingredients in its concentrated serum
Including Alpha Arbutin, the Hydroquinone alternative, so much safer for the potential long-term health. Read our full review
This cream may be an effective dark spot and hyperpigmentation corrector.
That primarily uses Vitamin C in its formulation to create a brightening effect on the skin.
while providing concentrated antioxidants for skin rejuvenation.
It has some good reviews for effectiveness, and the ingredients are all the good ones you need to be looking for. Read our full review
Advantages of Skin Brighteners
There are so many advantages to using top-rated skin brighteners, not to mention a brightening effect on the skin!
- A concentrated hit of active ingredients directly to the areas of concern.
- Rejuvenation of the surface layers of skin.
- The delivery of antioxidants to your skin.
- They promote deep hydration, adding volume.
- Anti-aging ingredients promote a more youthful look.
Disadvantages of Skin Brighteners
Of course, there may also be some disadvantages to using skin brighteners, such as:
- Adverse or allergic skin reactions.
- They can be expensive.
- You need to know your ingredients to make sure you get the right one for you.
- They can be small in size.
- Some of them have certain contraindications to other components and products, and this needs caution.
Frequently Asked Questions About Skin Brighteners
On the whole, most of the best skin brighteners available are made from natural ingredients and skin safe. However, you need to make sure that you know the best ingredients to use and follow the specific instructions for the product.
Skin brighteners tend to be on the pricey side, which can be due to the higher concentrations of active ingredients within the formulation. They are also a niche in skincare, and you can see this in the price point of a lot of skin brighteners.
Brightening the skin does not mean lightening the skin as a whole. Instead, it implies lightening and brightening the darker areas of skin, such as melasma, to bring a more even skin tone appearance.
No, it's not. Skin lightening is the action of actively lightening the whole complexion, as opposed to skin brightening is designed to bring through the natural radiance of your natural skin tone by reducing the appearance of dark spots and pigmentation.
Turning dark skin into fair can be a long and sometimes dangerous process, with no guarantees of effectiveness. This often involves skin bleaching and harsh chemical interventions. Skin Brightening is not this process.
Depending on the ingredients within your chosen skin brightener, you will find specific instructions and potential contraindications within the product user guide.
Generally, it is just another layer added to your skincare routine, which can be in the morning or the evening.
The Bottom Line – Get the Glow You Always Wanted!
If you choose to use a brightening serum or cream to treat areas of pigmentation or dark spots, be sure you choose the right one for your skin type and needs.
Having brighter skin can give youthfulness to the skin, which you can achieve by reducing dark areas and age-related hyperpigmentation.
Be savvy on your ingredients and know which ones are good for you and will give you the results you need, and avoid any of the potentially hazardous components.
You must make sure you follow the ingredients that are set out in the product guidelines as there may be contraindications to other elements in other products.
Remember, every new skincare element you introduce into your routine should be tested for individual skin sensitivity, so always make sure the product is suitable for you and your skin needs.