Being Aware Of Erectile Dysfunction
A lot of young men overlook the possibility that they may develop erectile dysfunction as they grow older. Shockingly, a lot of men don’t even know what erectile dysfunction is until they have developed it. So first and foremost, for any man reading this article, you should know that erectile dysfunction, commonly referred to simply as ED; is a very common sexual condition.
The worst part is that ED can have a devastating effect on the way you perceive yourself as a man, your self-esteem, your interpersonal relationships, and of course, your sex life.
Men need to be aware of the causes of ED, its warning signs, and what can be done about it. But, to be able to stave off this medical condition, it is vital to know what the causes are.
What Are The Causes Of Erectile Dysfunction?
Unfortunately, there are a lot of things that can lead to erectile dysfunction. The popular misconception is that it is caused by purely physical abnormalities. But as you will see in the following list, the problem can be more diverse than that. The causes of ED can include:
- Stress – Stress – whether it be from work, family obligations or worries about the future; can have a direct impact on your ability to achieve and maintain an erection.
- Age – Age is definitely a physical factor that can contribute to the development of ED. The older you get, the more likely you are to suffer from it.
- Injury – This is another physical cause of ED. Many men who have suffered an injury to their groin or genital area due to an on the job accident or sports develop erectile dysfunction.
- Depression – Depression is known to cause a sharp decline in sexual interest which can obviously severely hamper your ability to gain an erection in the first place.
- Poor Diet – Last but not least, the food you eat can predispose you to developing ED. That’s why it’s important to eat the best foods for erectile dysfunction, which we will discuss shortly.
What Kinds Of Foods Can Cause Erectile Dysfunction?
So now that we know that your diet can certainly enhance your chances of developing ED; it is almost as important to know which foods can cause erectile dysfunction as it is to know the best foods for erectile dysfunction.
There are indeed foods that you should try to avoid as much as possible if you want to steer clear of ED. Here is a list of top food and drinks that you should avoid to give you the best chance of skirting erectile dysfunction:
- Alcohol – You don’t even need ED for alcohol to limit your ability to achieve an erection. Still, long-term alcohol abuse can increase your risk of developing this condition and if you already have ED; excessive alcohol consumption can certainly make it worse.
- Red Meats – While a healthy diet should consist of red meat like beef, eating these kinds of meats in excess has been linked with erectile dysfunction. Make sure that you are at least not eating red meat with every meal.
- Sugary Foods and Drinks – ED can surely be caused by blood flow, and sugary foods and drinks hamper the mobility and health of blood cells. You should limit your intake of sugary foods (pastries, candies, etc.) and drinks (soda, juices, etc.) as much as possible, and focus more on the foods for erectile dysfunction.
What Kinds Of Foods Can Help Avoid Erectile Dysfunction?
Luckily, there are a lot of foods that you can eat to help you avoid erectile dysfunction. The list of the best foods for erectile dysfunction is quite long, so let’s start.
- Spicy Foods – Foods that are rich in capsaicin (chilis, peppers, hot sauces, etc.) seem to impact testosterone production, which is one of the contributing factors of developing ED. Therefore, spicy foods with capsaicin are considered the best food for men.
- Green Tea – Green tea contains a type of antioxidant known as catechins. Catechins can help boost metabolism and promote blood flow to the extremities of your body. And yes, that does include your sexual organs.
- Nuts with Zinc – Nuts rich in zinc, such as pine nuts, are another type of best food for men. In an animal study, it was shown that rats supplemented with zinc exhibited a stronger sexual drive and better reproductive organ function.
- Wine – The benefits of wine for erectile dysfunction have a lot to do with its high antioxidant content. Wine helps produce nitric oxide, which, in turn, helps blood flow to the penis and other extremities.
- Salmon – Salmon can lead to increased dopamine release in the brain. And in a high-quality clinical study, it was shown that dopamine acts as a vasodilator – a substance that widens the blood vessels and helps them flow better.
- Bananas – It is widely known that bananas are a rich source of potassium. But what many people don’t know is that potassium is very beneficial for blood flow – a physical factor of erectile dysfunction.
- Chicken – Chicken, in particular chicken breast, is rich in arginine. Arginine is a natural enzyme that dilates the blood vessels, allowing them to travel freely throughout the circulatory system. This makes chicken the best food for men.
- Celery – Celery is one of the best foods to avoid erectile dysfunction, not for any physical effects but for physiological benefits. Celery contains androsterone, which acts as a pheromone and male aphrodisiac.
- Eggs – Nitric oxide, as discussed a bit earlier, is a powerful component for improved blood flow and erectile health. Eggs are rich in Choline, which is a known precursor for nitric oxide.
- Turkey – Turkey breast in particular, is even richer in arginine than chicken. This
- Mussels – Certain minerals play an important role in blood flow. Some of them include magnesium and iron. One of the most iron- and magnesium-rich shellfish there is in existence are mussels.
- Oysters – Speaking of shellfish, you may have heard that oysters are a natural aphrodisiac, and that is 100% true. Because they are also high in zinc, a mineral related to testosterone production, oysters can help boost libido and improve physical factors affecting ED.
- Damiana – This is an herbal extract that has been in use in the traditional medicines to help treat low libido. But recent studies have shown that damiana leaf can help promote feelings of relaxation, which can make it easier for men to achieve an erection.
- Garlic – Recent studies seem to suggest that garlic can help inhibit the buildup of nanoplaque in the bloodstream; allowing for blood to flow more liberally to the extremities, including the penis.
- Broccoli – Broccoli is rich in indoles, and indoles affect the hormone profile of men. Estrogen rises in men as they get older, but indoles help to diminish the production of estrogen and helps balance testosterone levels.
- Avocados – Avocados, like bananas, are a rich source of potassium – a mineral that has a positive effect on blood flow. They are also a good source of monounsaturated fats, which promote good cardiovascular health.
- Coffee – Research seems to suggest that coffee can help prevent ED by releasing caffeine into the body. Caffeine, in some instances, can promote blood flow, which is why many believe that it is one of the best foods to avoid erectile dysfunction.
- Watermelon – Watermelon is a rich source of the amino acid L-citrulline. L-citrulline is a precursor to L-arginine, which acts as a vasodilator in the bloodstream.
- Ginger – Ginger is one of the best food for men because it has cardiovascular health benefits. Cardiovascular health is directly related to blood flow, so ginger can support healthy circulation throughout the body.
- Cocoa – Cocoa and dark chocolate are another best food for men because they seem to have a direct effect on stress and serotonin levels. High serotonin levels are linked with low stress and stress can have a direct effect on your ability to achieve an erection.
Steering clear of ED is difficult, but it’s not impossible. Although many factors can lead to its development, there are a lot of things you can do to prevent it.
Staying away from the foods that can put you at risk of developing ED; maintaining good cardiovascular health, limiting stress, and eating erection-friendly foods, like the ones mentioned above, are all great ways to stay sexually healthy.