Sleep aid supplements help to provide you with restful sleep and also improve your mood.
Below are the top rated sleep aid supplements that can improve the quantity and quality of your sleep.
Reasons Why You Have Trouble Sleeping at Night
Sleep deprivation is exhibited by not getting a sufficient amount of sleep. It is not a disease but is a result of circumstances or disorders.
Sleep deprivation may happen for these reasons:
- Aging – Men and women of age often suffer from sleep problems due to medical conditions or drug therapies.
- Stress – Stress is one of the culprits of sleep problems. It causes an increase in the hormone, corticosteroids.
- Sleep Disorders – Parasomnia, sleep apnea, insomnia, restless legs syndrome, and narcolepsy.
- Health Disorders – Depression, Alzheimer’s disease, mental disorders, cancer, joint problems, or stroke are associated with difficulty sleeping.
What Are the Causes of Sleep Problems?
Sleep is a natural occurrence in humans. Due to several factors, many people find it difficult to sleep at night. The following can influence sleep quality:
- Work – Your work environment and job may alter your sleeping pattern, possibly due to rotating shifts. When you are forced to stay awake at night to fulfill your duty, your sleep-wake cycle changes, which often leads to irregular patterns.
- Stress – Stress is a part of life but high levels of stress threaten your health. It can make sleeping difficult due to the increased levels of cortisol in your body.
- Medical Conditions – Anxiety and depression can affect your ability to achieve sleep due to hormonal imbalances that impact neurotransmitter functions.
- Medications – Drug therapies incorporate caffeine, alcohol, thyroid hormone, and corticosteroids. These substances often cause jitters, insomnia, and suppressed REM sleep.
Which Ingredients Make Supplements Work Effectively?
Ingredients that make sleep aid supplements work effectively include the following:
- Melatonin – Melatonin plays a major role in regulating the sleep-wake cycle. It is a hormone stimulated by the absence of light. Melatonin controls the sleep-wake pattern, promoting a better quality of sleep and reducing feelings of anxiety.
- Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA) – Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA) is a key neurotransmitter in the brain. It works by decreasing excitatory activity in the central nervous system. This results in restful sleep and a boosted mood when you wake up.
Other ingredients you should look out for are Valerian Root, Tryptophan, and L-theanine.
What Are the Best Sleeping Aids?
The top rated sleep aid supplements include the following: