Here are my top tips if you are looking to lose weight:
1. Make it a healthy lifestyle rather than a diet. For long term success you need to be enjoying the food, not cutting things out completely and be able to maintain this form of eating. Weight loss is about being consistent over time so avoid fad diets and unsustainable ways of eating.
2. Weight loss will happen when calories eaten are less than calories burnt. There are online calorie calculators you can use to help figure out how much you should be eating depending on your body weight and activity level. Start by knowing your figures.
3. Invest in an activity tracker. There are some great heart rate monitors these days that do everything – track your steps, exercise level, calories expenditure, sleep levels. This can also be motivating.
4. Try to increase activity level throughout the day – aim for 8,000-10,000 steps a day.
5. Plan and prep food in advance – knowing what you will eat means you will always be prepared food wise. This means less chance of having to grab something unhealthy.
6. Where possible bulk cook and freeze portions. When you have less time during the week, there is always a healthy homemade ready meal at hand.
7. Prepare salad, fruit and veg and put into containers in the fridge – ready to be eaten.
8. Depending on the type of person you are, you can either weigh out food portions to get a good visual idea of what 100g of carbs looks like or 100g of protein looks like then you do not always need to do this. Or, if you don’t like scales, with lunch and dinner grab 2 handfuls of salad or veg, a palm size of protein and thumb size of good fat.
9. Find an exercise routine that works for you. Whether it’s in the morning or evening it doesn’t matter as long as you can get into the routine of doing it, it fits with your lifestyle and you enjoy it.
10. Lift weights. Increase muscle mass to help increase metabolism and help define body shape. Ideally 2-3 times a week. You won’t get bulky!
11. Drink lots of water. Sometimes dehydration can feel like hunger.
12. Sleep well – this is where the body repairs, heals and grows. Plus, when we have slept well, there is less chance of us craving the sugar fix the next day.
13. Be patient. The extra weight didn’t creep on overnight; it took time. Therefore, weight loss will also take time. So be patient and consistent.