Overview Of Acne Scars
If having acne isn’t difficult enough, some people develop scarring after the abrasions disappear. This generally occurs when the acne has been moderate to severe, and it can leave indentations in the skin in various sizes, shapes, and levels of depth. People with these issues want to know how to get rid of acne scars fast.
Fortunately, there are several medical and home remedies for acne scars. However, it’s first important to understand the causes of their development.
Why Do Acne Scars Develop?
1. Healing Acne with Collagen
Acne scars are often the result of your skin trying to heal itself and doing a poor job. When your acne has disappeared, the body tries to fix the damage by making collagen. However, the wrong amount of collagen can lead to scarring. A too high amount of collagen causes a hypertrophic or raised scar. Too little leads to a depression in the skin called an atrophic scar .
2. Inflammatory Acne
Inflammatory acne can be particularly severe, and often presents with cysts. It can delve deeper into the skin than other acne and cause more damage, making scarring more likely. Untreated inflammatory acne has an even bigger chance of turning into scars.
A literature review published in Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery examined the role of inflammation in the pathogenesis of acne and acne scarring.
3. Broken Blood Vessels
When acne breaks open, this can cause damaged blood vessels, which leave marks on your skin. These are often dark-colored scarring called hyperpigmentation. If you have not popped the pimple yourself, there’s a good chance these marks will disappear in a few months .
4. Squeezing or Picking Acne
Although it may be a big temptation to squeeze or pop your acne, this is something you should avoid at all costs, unless you want bad acne scarring. The American Academy of Dermatology Association explains that only a dermatologist should pop your acne. Otherwise, you may end up with an infection, more painful acne, and a possible inability to get rid of acne scars.
A review published in the British Journal of Dermatology found that there is likely a gene for the development of acne. If a close relative such as a parent suffered or suffers from this condition, your chances of developing acne are higher than normal. If both parents have acne, the chances are even higher.
Eliminating Scars from Acne
1. Natural Acne Scar Removal
If you’re looking for effective home remedies for acne scars, there are many solutions available.
Coconut Oil – This rich oil is high in fatty acids and antioxidants, which penetrate the skin, providing it with moisture and repairing damage like scarring. The hydration gets trapped under the skin and gives it volume, and this can smooth out abrasions.
However, as this oil is somewhat heavy, it’s important not to apply too much to your skin. Use a thin layer daily. Apply only to the regions you want to treat .
Lemon Juice – Lemon is considered an excellent treatment for removing acne scars, which have pigmentation or dark spots. It has lightening properties, which can get rid of these areas and also exfoliate, removing dead skin from the surface.
Besides, this substance can even out your overall skin tone. Lemon juice is a very acidic substance, so you must apply just a small amount to the areas where you have acne scars .
Aloe Vera – One of the best home remedies for acne scars is the aloe vera plant. It has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties. Aloe reduces swelling and repairs damage to the skin, as well as raising its immunity.
It’s also deeply hydrating, penetrating the skin and providing it with moisture. The liquid gives volume to the skin and helps smooth abrasions. A study on rats published in the Annals of Plastic Surgery found that aloe vera was very effective at wound healing.
- Turmeric – Using turmeric is one of the best ways to get rid of acne scars as it contains curcumin, which is very potent in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents. Besides reducing swelling and repairing damage to the skin, it also reduces the production of melanin. This lightens dark areas in your acne scarring. Besides, turmeric has powerful wound-healing properties and can give the skin a radiant glow. A review in Phytotherapy Research examined the effects of turmeric on skin health.
Shea Butter – This luxurious, hydrating substance is one of the most effective home remedies for acne scars. It can eliminate marks of all types on the skin because it prevents scar tissue called keloid fibroblasts from continuing to develop.
It helps the skin to heal and encourages healthy cells to grow instead. Also, it has potent anti-inflammatory properties, which lessen swelling, and antioxidants, which help fix damage to the skin and protect it from future harm .
- Alpha-hydroxy Acids – These are chemical compounds taken from plant and animal acids. Using alpha hydroxy acids is one of the best ways to get rid of acne scars. They exfoliate the top layer of your skin, removing rough skin and dead skin cells as well as minimizing the appearance of scar tissue. These acids are often included as ingredients in acne treatments, so they may also prevent further acne from developing and turning into scars.
Retinoids – If you want to know how to get rid of acne scars fast, consider using retinoids. According to an article published in Dermatology and Therapy, they can lighten areas of pigmentation and make scars less noticeable.
Retinoids are very rich in antioxidants, which can help repair skin damage by killing free radicals and reducing oxidative stress. Additionally, they can enhance skin texture by improving the regeneration of cells. You should refrain from using retinoids in the sun, as they can make your skin more sensitive to damage.
2. Medicinal Remedies
If your scarring is severe, you may want to consider medical treatment. These are some of the best ways to get rid of acne scars.
Laser Treatment – This treatment uses lasers to remove the top layer of your skin, leaving fresh, healthy cells and eliminating some scarring. The disadvantage of this treatment is that you can’t do it if you still have acne.
It can deal with scar tissue, but it may be too hard on the skin that has abrasions. Moreover, it can be less effective for darker skin. Following this treatment, you have to wear bandages on your face until it’s healed.
- Dermabrasion – If you’re interested in how to get rid of acne scars fast, listen carefully: dermabrasion. This is one of the most popular techniques for eliminating acne scars. The practitioner will use a wire brush or wheel to deeply exfoliate the top layer of your skin, getting rid of smaller scars and making deep scars much less visible. This procedure is usually performed in a medical clinic by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon .
- Microneedling – This is a treatment meant to rejuvenate the skin, and it’s also very effective at removing depressed acne scars. The practitioner uses a roller with small needles in it along the surface of your skin. The needles make small puncture marks, which begin to heal, and this releases collagen. The collagen can tighten the skin, smoothing out scars and abrasions on the surface. The disadvantage of this treatment is that it takes about 9 months to see real results .
Acne Scar Surgery – Are you wondering how to get rid of acne scars fast? There’s a minor surgery called subcision, which is used to treat deep, depressed, and raised acne scars. It’s a very safe procedure, which can be used along with other methods like a laser.
It’s done under local anesthesia. The doctor inserts a needle near the scar tissue and moves it back and forth to break the fibrous bands. For best results, you should do repeated sessions after a three-week break in between .
- Fillers – These are substances that are injected under the skin by a practitioner or cosmetic dermatologist, in an attempt to fill in the area where the scarring is and smooth out the skin. The filler is often collagen, but it may be another substance. Fillers are also effective for eliminating wrinkles and fine lines. Some fillers are long term, but most importantly, you have to get redone every year to keep the benefits .
Advice About Acne Scarring
If you want to get rid of acne scars, it’s vital to start treatment as soon as the acne begins. Go to your dermatologist immediately and try some home remedies as well.
Avoid using heavy makeup as it can make your condition worse and difficult to get rid of acne scars.
Use gentle skincare products, and under no circumstances should you scrub or harshly rub your skin. This can worsen the condition and make scarring more likely.
Avoid touching your face as much as you can and certainly don’t squeeze pimples or pick at scabs to avoid scarring. This can add impurities to your pores, making the condition worse.
If you’re prone to acne and scarring, use sunscreen every time you go outside, in every season. The sun’s rays can lead to scarring, involving dark spots on the skin. This will make it more difficult to get rid of acne scars.
If you have inflammation, work to lower it immediately with a home remedy or medication from your dermatologist. Inflamed skin can worsen the condition and make it more difficult later to get rid of acne scars.
The Final Word
In addition to seeking treatment, you should take good care of your skin and remember not to touch your face too much or squeeze pimples. This can worsen the condition. Use gentle products and don’t rub too hard on your skin.
Consider some of the methods outlined here for your condition, as these are some of the best ways to get rid of acne scars. Furthermore, if you have serious acne and are prone to scarring, see your dermatologist regularly to stay on top of the issue.