Healthy hair, just as a healthy body requires care and attention. There are so many things that can go into hair’s health. Factors that affect the health of your hair are nutrition, stress, smoking, alcohol consumption, pollution, and sleep habits.
The health of your hair, just like skin, comes from within. If you lead a healthy lifestyle by eating the right foods and exercise regularly, not only will you have a healthy body but your hair will be healthy too.
Nutrition is by far the number one way to sustain healthy hair. That means what you eat will affect the condition of your hair. Following the proper diet is essential for maintaining healthy hair.
Inadequate protein for example can lead to thinning of the hair and hair loss.
Here are the key nutrients your hair will thank you for:
Just as protein is essential for muscle growth, it is important for hair growth, too. That’s because hair follicles are made up mostly of protein. Lack of adequate protein in your diet will cause thinning of the hair and lead to hair loss. It’s especially important if you have extremely thin hair that’s fuzzy and prone to breakage. Eat protein-rich foods such as lean meats, fish, eggs, beans and legumes, nuts and seeds, spinach, and kale.
#2 Oil treatments
One way to maintain healthy hair is by applying oil treatments.
The oils that are good for hair are coconut and avocado oils. They both contain essential fatty acids and vitamins A, B-5, and E that are beneficial for hair growth. One study showed that coconut oil can help reduce the loss of protein in hair.
You can either use ready-made oil packets containing a mixture of healthy oils that you can buy in a drug or beauty store or you can make a homemade hot oil treatment yourself.
Here are the steps on how to make and apply a hot oil mask.
- In a glass jar, mix 1-2 tbsp. Coconut oil at room temp with 1-2 tbsp. Avocado oil. Use more or less that amount, depending on the length of your hair.
- Put your jar into a pot of boiling water. Let the oil warm for about 2 minutes.
- Before applying the oil mixture to the hair, check the temperature with the back of your wrist to make sure it isn’t hot and it’s safe to use.
- Apply the warm oil mixture to your hair— scalp, hair roots, and ends.
- Put a shower cap on and leave the mask on for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
Make A Home-Made Egg-Yolk Mask
Eggs are rich in nutrients. Egg yolks are rich in protein that keeps your hair follicles strong and healthy. The peptides found in egg yolk can also encourage hair growth. Eggs also contain vitamins A and D, biotin, and folate — all the essential nutrients for healthy hair growth.
Follow these steps on how to make an egg yolk mask.
- Mix 3 egg yolks with 3-4 tbsp. warm coconut oil. Mix well.
- Apply to your scalp and hair roots.
- Put a shower cap over your head.
- Let the mask sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse well with cool water.
Go Easy On The Shampoo
The biggest mistake people make with hair is overwashing it.
When you do that, you strip away the natural oils from your hair. It can also weaken the hair shaft.
If your hair isn’t oily, shampooing it twice or three times a week is sufficient. Not using too much shampoo is also important. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, use only a quarter-sized amount and apply it mostly to your scalp.