Introduction To Resistance Training
It is a type of training where you exercise your muscles using an opposing force, and the training is called strength training. In recent years, this type of training has continuously gained popularity. Many beginners always ask: “do resistance bands work”; and, “what is resistance training?” Do resistance machines and weights benefit the body? Many studies show that strength and resistance training carries many benefits.
Basic Principles Of Resistance Training
The several principles include:
- Exercise – A specific body movement is meant to work for targeted muscle groups.
- Set – The repetition of the same exercise several times. 3 sets of pushups of 10 reps each would mean doing 3 rounds of 10 pushups each, with small breaks in between.
- Weights – Weights will vary depending on the resistance workout.
- Rest – Break between sets of exercises. Rest periods differ depending on the intensity of the full-body workout.
- Variety – You should have different resistance training routines to give your muscles varying challenges. Ensure you have a variety of workout routines to choose from daily.
- Program – You should have a full-body workout program that involves strength training, flexibility training, aerobic training, and balance exercises.
- Recovery – Give your muscles enough time to repair and get relieved after a total body workout.
Why Resistance Training Is Important?
This training carries physical and mental benefits that may help improve your overall health. This resistance workout:
- Boosts muscle growth and strength as the muscles resist force or weight.
- It helps to protect the joints from physical injury by enhancing muscle tone and strength.
- It may help support stability and flexibility as it involves balancing weights and resistance training bands.
- It prevents the loss of lean muscle mass that you get from aging as it keeps you fit.
- It helps muscles strengthen and become stiff since it allows the body to repair the unseen damage it initially causes to muscle cells.
In the end, the training results in anabolism and catabolism. Catabolism is the breakdown of muscle fiber. On the other hand, anabolism is the rejuvenation of muscle tissue after working out.
Catabolism occurs during full-body workouts that make you worn out. To help in anabolism, hormones such as testosterone and insulin, proteins, and other nutrients, are deposited into the muscle tissue.
Resistance Training For Beginners
Do beginners ask, what is resistance training? Simply, it’s good for your health, but it might carry risks if you have some health conditions. Still, if the benefits outweigh the risks, you can begin training. To yield the best results, you need to do it regularly but ensure you have rest days. Strength training should not hurt, and it makes you feel stiff in the muscles.
To get the best out of resistance training bands, try coming up with a full-body workout plan. So, if you have medical issues, gather insights from a medical professional to get advice on what is best for you.
How To Get Started With Resistance Training?
You can perform it with or without equipment like resistance training bands or weights. If you are starting, make sure you do it consistently. You can begin the training using your body weight or a simple set of dumbbells. Though, assess yourself to check whether you have any underlying health conditions that could put you at risk.
When performing a total body workout, ensure you do the exercises correctly to reduce the risk of injuries and get the most out of them. Consistency is the key to ensuring your progress is gradual and visible. Include rest days in your workout schedule to give your muscles enough time for regrowth.
If you have a disability or any medical condition, or you are just starting with full-body workouts, consider visiting a health professional for a checkup or advice to prevent putting your body at risk.
Equipment Required For Resistance Training
- Suspension Training Equipment – Suspension training equipment is a workout device made of straps and handles. It helps you build up muscle and offers resistance against your body weight. Since this equipment is readily available and easy to transport, you can use it for home full-body workouts.
- Free Weights – Free Weights like dumbbells are good examples of training equipment. They are from materials such as rubber, iron, and plastic. Dumbbells have a fixed weight in one solid piece. Also, some dumbbells are adjustable and have a solid bar where you can add weight plates to offer you enough resistance.
- Resistance Bands – The bands are cheap and portable. It makes them efficient to use from anywhere. However, a lot of speculation leaves many asking, “do resistance bands work?”. Yes, they do. Studies have shown that resistance bands can be as efficient as dumbbells and offer a safe level of resistance. They increase muscle activation.
- Resistance Machines – Those asking “do resistance bands work? may also ask whether resistance machines work too. However, resistance machines are large and very efficient. You mostly find them in a gym, but you may purchase one for home use. This machine uses a pulley system with weights that offer enough resistance to work your muscles.
Resistance Training At Home
Performing the training at home is the most convenient way, and it’s super easy too. It saves you time and cost and maintains your privacy. To perform a total body workout at home, you need to find a good spot where you can exercise comfortably and freely move your arms and legs in all directions.
You don’t require a lot of equipment, but you can purchase some items such as:
- Exercising Mat
- Resistance training bands
- Workout attire
Also, you can use sandbags to replace the dumbbells. If you are new to this, you should find a workout routine for beginners that might include squats, pushups, lunges, planks, and free weight exercises.
Examples Of Resistance Training
Different examples include:
- Resistance Bands – These are large rubber bands that offer resistance when stretched. You can combine them when doing different types of body workouts. Do resistance bands work? They continuously provide resistance throughout the exercise.
- Sandbags Or Weighted Punching Bags – They can help offer resistance to your muscles and make them stronger and stiff.
Health Benefits Of Resistance Training
Below are some of the benefits of resistance training workouts:
Resistance training for weight loss, studies show that the training helps boost metabolism. A high metabolic rate increases the rate at which the body burns fat and may cause weight loss.
- Improved stamina due to increased strength, reducing the rate at which you get tired.
- The training prevents chronic illnesses such as depression, diabetes, and some cardiovascular diseases by improving your appearance, burning excess body fat, and reducing weight.
- Resistance exercises lead to increased muscle mass and muscle strength.
- This training helps keep your muscles healthy and increases your ability to perform certain activities for extended periods. The more you do, the more muscle strength and endurance you acquire.
- There is improved flexibility and a lower risk of injuries for people who perform full-body workouts. The training workouts for children decrease the chances of getting fractures and muscle injuries, especially in children playing sports.
- It Increases Bone Density And Improves Balance – Recent studies show that consistent resistance exercise can help maintain and increase bone mass and density. By increasing your bone density, the training reduces your risk of osteoporosis, especially in old age. Plus, strong bones help improve your general posture and balance.
- Improved Mental And Emotional Health – Such training is a full-body workout that enhances your overall performance in everyday activities. It improves mental, emotional, and social function. Many studies prove that training can help reduce depression no matter how small the workout is.
- Betters Self-Esteem – You boost your confidence by toning your muscles and increasing them in size through resistance exercises. Studies show that resistance workouts raise self-esteem and improve moods, especially in women.
Resistance Training Vs. Strength Training
So, what is resistance training compared to strength training? Resistance workouts involve pushing or pulling something that offers resistance, like a dumbbell, sandbag, or even your own body. On the other hand, strength training involves working many different muscles by lifting weights and continuously increasing the weight as you lower the number of reps making your body gain strength.
A resistance workout is good if you have just begun working out because all you need is your body weight. Plus, resistance full-body workouts, such as planks, pushups, and squats may help increase endurance. Nonetheless, both pieces of training are essential for anyone looking to improve functional fitness.
Resistance Training Safety Tips
- Use Proper Form – Use Proper Form to get maximum gains from the workout and to avoid injuries.
- Exercise Safely – Always warm up and cool down properly.
- Bring Water – Drink water, and you will get dehydrated due to a lot of sweating during training. So, come with water to refresh yourself.
- Find A Workout Buddy – A workout buddy helps keep you motivated and increases endurance. When you feel like giving up, a workout buddy will urge you to continue.
- Stop If You Experience Pain – Even resistance training for weight loss exercises should stop if you feel pain. Always give your body time to rejuvenate the worn-out muscle tissue. Give yourself a day or two for a break.
People Also Ask
Yes. You can do resistance training for weight loss. This workout routine may help burn excess fat by increasing the body's metabolic rate leading to an increase in the number of calories you burn.
No. You can start special equipment like resistance training bands, so there is no need to have access to a gym. Don't worry if you don't have any equipment since you can even do resistance training for weight loss at home.
Get some days off from such training to give your muscles time for growth. Nonetheless, it might be okay to do it up to six times a week if you have experience.
- Isometric Exercises - These increase strength and endurance by engaging muscles without exercising.
- Isotonic Exercises - These may rely on consistent resistance and a full range of motion to build strength.
- Isokinetic Exercises - Isokinetic Exercises use machines to help the body perform some movements faster.
Walking is a type of exercise. Though it is not a type of strength training, it helps build muscular endurance since your body has to support its weight.
So, do resistance bands work? Adopting any resistance training as a form of physical activity designed to improve muscular fitness and external resistance is healthy. Anyone can do it, and it’s the best type to implement if you are new to working out. Fortunately, you can do a total body workout at home or in a gym without having access to such equipment.