table of contents
- BPH And Sexual Function – What Is The Connection?
- What Are The Reasons For Causing Prostate Enlargement?
- Symptoms Of An Enlarged Prostate
- How Does The Enlarged Prostate Affect Your Sexual Life?
- How To Perform Sex After Prostate Cancer?
- How To Approach
- Control Your Emotion
- When To Talk With A Doctor For Enlarged Prostate
- Treatment For Enlarged Prostate Cancer
- What Are The Surgical Options For An Enlarged Prostate?
- Home Remedies For Enlarged Prostates
- Frequently Asked Questions
Have you ever wondered about the importance of the prostate gland for healthy sex life? Well, this walnut-sized gland often goes unnoticed until you have any issue, right?
You must know the prostate gland plays a significant role in ejaculation, which is essential to fertilize an egg during reproduction.
Don’t worry. Here in this article, you will get a complete idea about the reasons behind enlarged prostate, how it affects your sex life, and most importantly, how to deal with it. So, let’s find out now!
BPH And Sexual Function – What Is The Connection?
Men with enlarged prostate, also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), often experience sexual problems, but for this, there are treatments as well. Several studies found a connection between BPH and erectile dysfunction(ED).
Both are separate problems, and most older adults face this. One causes trouble in urination and the other causes issues in your sexual life. So, now the question arises, how does an enlarged prostate affect a man sexually?
BPH occurs when you have an enlarged prostate, but that does not happen due to cancer. Normally, a prostate gland tends to increase in size throughout adult life, and that is why many older adults are affected by this.
On the other hand, ED is your inability to maintain an erection, and it occurs due to some physical conditions like low testosterone, diabetes, or heart disease. Some psychological conditions are there as well. ED and BPH don’t have a direct connection. However, some treatments may relieve your BPH but may cause sexual side effects and ED. While treating ED can be beneficial for treating an enlarged prostate.
What Are The Reasons For Causing Prostate Enlargement?
It nearly looks the size of a walnut and is an essential part of the male reproductive system. The prostate gland plays a significant role in producing semen-filled fluid during ejaculation.
So, how to find your prostate? The prostate gland is present below the bladder, in front of the rectum, and surrounds the urethra.
The actual reasons behind prostate enlargement are not clear yet. According to many studies, changing the cells of testicles and aging can be reasons for that. Earlier, research showed that men without testicles (removing them because of testicular cancer) don’t get BPH.
Moreover, the removal of the testicles can reduce the size of the prostate in men with BPH. So, what is the enlarged prostate treatment? Well, removal of the testicles is not an option for treating BPH. You will get some safe ways for its treatment. A small amount of prostate enlargement is common in several males over 40 and almost 90% of males above 80.
Symptoms Of An Enlarged Prostate
The symptoms of enlarged prostate might vary among people, and people find to worry about does an enlarged prostate affects a man sexually. It can be severe sometimes and may worsen with time. Some of the common signs are:
- Inability to empty the bladder
- Increase the frequency of urination, two to three times per night( nocturia)
- Dribbling at the end of your urination
- Incontinence, or lack of control during urination
- Frequent urge to urinate
- A slowed, delayed, and weak urinary stream
Some other less severe symptoms might include:
- Difficulty in urination
- UTI or urinary tract infection
- Blood in urine
The severity of your symptoms does not depend upon the size of the prostate. Sometimes, men with an enlarged prostate can have minor urinary symptoms, while the symptoms can be significant with a slightly enlarged prostate. In some cases, the symptoms eventually stabilize or even improve by applying some home remedies.
How Does The Enlarged Prostate Affect Your Sexual Life?
According to some studies, men with an enlarged prostate can develop erectile dysfunction (ED) and some other sexual problems. So, how does an enlarged prostate affects a man sexually? Let’s find it now.
- Medications – 5-alpha reductase inhibitors(dutasteride or finasteride) and alpha-blockers( tamsulosin) are the common types of drugs used to treat BPH. Although, 5-alpha reductase may interfere with erection and reduce the sex drive, and alpha-blockers may lead to difficulty during ejaculation.
- Minimally-Invasive Procedures – It may include heat or laser treatments that may sometime lead to ED or retrograde ejaculation. Retrograde ejaculation is a condition when ejaculation moves backward into the bladder instead of moving towards the penis.
- Surgery – Some surgical options where you have to remove the inner portion of the prostate can lead to retrograde ejaculation as well. You must know retrograde ejaculation is not harmful. The semen will be removed from the bladder along with urine. However, if you are planning for a baby, you must consult with a fertility expert.
So, what is the enlarged prostate treatment? Sometimes doctors also suggest Tadalafil. It is helpful to treat both BPH and ED. In 2011, FDA also approved the use of Tadalafil. So, the best way to deal with it is to take help from doctors who will adjust your medications and suggest how to improve your sexual function.
How To Perform Sex After Prostate Cancer?
Many men face issues in sex after prostate cancer, and sometimes it’s frustrating.
How To Approach
It might sound normal but make sure you are properly aroused before sex. Think about some sexual feelings and fantasies. Trying other forms of intimacy like kissing, oral sex, or manual sex is a good way to enjoy your moments with your partner. You can use a vibrator also at the tip of your penis. It will help to stimulate nerves and send signals to your brain.
Control Your Emotion
The impact of prostate cancer is physical as well as mental. Sometimes you have to deal with stress and anxiety, which may lead to the release of adrenaline, and it may result in a real struggle while having sex.
So, the best thing you can do is have an honest conversation with your partner and share your fear and expectations. Besides that, taking help from a sex therapist or mental health care professional will help you deal with it.
When To Talk With A Doctor For Enlarged Prostate
If you are observing symptoms related to an enlarged prostate, you should consult with a doctor. According to the American Cancer Society, men of a certain age should go for prostate screening regularly after knowing the risks and benefits of it. According to that study, the recommended ages for the screening are,
- Men over 50 have an average risk of prostate cancer.
- Men over 45 have a high risk of prostate cancer.
- Men over 40 even have a higher risk of prostate cancer.
A prostate cleaning will help you rule out cancer as the reason for those symptoms.
Treatment For Enlarged Prostate Cancer
You will find several options for enlarged prostate treatment. If you are suffering from an enlarged prostate, first talk to your doctor. He will suggest plenty of choices for you to apply, such as medications, home remedies, surgical options, or some healthy activities.
Here is the list of some medications to deal with an enlarged prostate:
- Terazosin finasteride
- Dutasteride- tamsulosin
So, does an enlarged prostate affect a man sexually? You should know it may lead to the issues like problems in maintaining and achieving an erection and lowering the sex drive.
What Are The Surgical Options For An Enlarged Prostate?
Sometimes medication can’t help to get rid of this, so the only option is to go for surgery.
- TURP – It is the transurethral resection of the prostate, which means it will remove some prostate tissue.
- TUMT – It means transurethral microwave thermotherapy. Here microwaves help to destroy the excess tissue.
- TUIP – It is known as a transurethral incision of the prostate. It involves creating grooves into the prostate.
- Prostatic Urethral Lift – It involves moving away the prostate tissue from the urethra. TURP is the most common, but it also comes with the side effects like retrograde ejaculation and other sexual problems.
Home Remedies For Enlarged Prostates
According to a study by Prostate Cancer UK, you can develop some healthy activities for enlarged prostate treatment. These include:
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Try to avoid drinking in the evening and at bedtime.
- Reduce the use of alcohol, fizzy soda, and sweeteners.
- Check if any medicine contributes to these symptoms.
Besides that, you must incorporate exercise into your daily routine. Regular exercises, especially Kegel exercises, may help boost your blood flow and cardiovascular health. In turn, it improves the symptoms of enlarged prostates.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, it does not. Although, therapies used in treating urinary symptoms may cause ejaculatory dysfunction.
The prostate gland helps to produce semen, so stimulating it will create a more intense orgasm while you ejaculate.
No, it is not. However, men with prostatitis (swelling & inflammation in the prostate) can find difficulty during ejaculation.
It will reduce your sex drive and sexual satisfaction and even cause ED or erectile dysfunction.
Yes, obviously. Initially, you may experience erectile dysfunction, but that is temporary.
Yes, you can take Viagra and other ED medications with an enlarged prostate.